Be it professionals, students, or knowledge seekers — we all have one thing in common: our never-ending quest for information. But within this fast-paced world where information is constantly bombarding us from all directions, it’s easy to get lost in the sea of words. We need to have tools that can help us process large amounts of information quickly and efficiently. And that’s where AI summarizing tools come into play.
AI summarizing tools use natural language processing and machine learning algorithms to analyze text and identify the most important information. They then generate a concise summary that captures the essence of the original content in just a few sentences. These tools are a game-changer for anyone looking to save time, increase productivity, and stay on top of their game. In this article, we’ll show you the 7 best AI summarizing tools on the market. We’ve tried them each for this research! 😉
7 Best AI Summarizers to Boost Productivity
Now, let’s start the list and dive into the details of each tool. We’ll walk you through the features and pricing of each of these best tools, ensuring you find the perfect fit for your needs!
Briefy is a user-friendly, simple yet powerful AI tool that extracts essential points of any text with just one click. Its super convenient Google and Safari extensions make it perfect for reducing your reading time and summarizing text, whether you’re on your computer or smartphone. After installing the browser extension, you can just go to any content page, click on the Briefy button on that page and you’ll instantly receive summaries presented in various formats based on your needs, including bullet points, keywords, tables, mindmaps, etc. Very easy to use.
Plus, Briefy allows you to summarize Gmails. It’s not just about summarizing individual emails; you can also condense any opened Gmail threads for a quick overview.
- Tailored summarizing formats: Briefy outputs summaries in various formats to suit users’ needs, including bullet points, keywords, tables, mindmaps, charts, etc., offering a better user experience and higher summary quality.
- Available on PC and mobile: Briefy has both Google & Safari extensions. Users can access Briefy and get summaries of any text on their computers and iPhones. This is an outstanding feature because most of the AI summarizers on the market are only available on PCs!
- Basic: free plan
- Premium: $4.99/month
Briefy is a very simple, user-friendly extension. If you need a tool to enhance your productivity or an initial screening of information for daily use, then Briefy is definitely your go-to choice. Download Briefy today at:
QuillBot is a sophisticated AI writing software that offers text summarizing, text paraphrasing (there’re differences between the definitions of paraphrasing and summarizing), content rewriting, and AI-driven content creation. Serving as a holistic linguistic tool, it addresses a range of writing needs from scholarly articles to blogs. It has various language modes for you to choose from. If you write, you can even select from what type of English you write in -US, UK, CA and AU. Overall, it’s a powerful tool for mostly writing content. It does summarize, but that’s not what it was designed for.
- Summary length adjustment: you have the flexibility to set the length of your summary, ranging from short to long.
- Anti-Plagiarism Feature: QuillBot comes equipped with a plagiarism detection tool, ensuring that your summaries are original and free from plagiarism.
- Two modes: it allows you to choose between summarizing key sentences or entire paragraphs. The key sentence option creates a bullet-point list, whereas the paragraph option condenses the text into a single, cohesive section.
- Free: only 1,200 words can be summarized
- Premium: Annual: $99.95 every 12 months; Semi-Annual: $79.95 every 6 months; Monthly: $19.95/month
Quillbot is a powerful AI tool. However, it’s not designed for summarizing but for satisfying writing needs. If your daily use doesn’t require much writing, it’d be a bit pricey to choose Quillbot.
Scholarcy is specifically crafted to assist individuals in research papers. It distills research papers into flashcards with key concepts, abstracts, synopsis, highlights, and full summaries. In its summary flashcard, it summarizes the introduction, research methods, results, and conclusion. After you get the summary, you can export it into an Excel form listing the title, the author’s name, year, etc. It also allows you to save your work to the library for future sourcing and sharing with others. Overall, it is a great tool for researchers.
- Highlights: Scholarcy highlights key points for you.
- References finding: Scholarcy finds the references for you by locating open-access PDFs from Google Scholar, arXiv, and elsewhere. You can also download the entire bibliography in BibTex or .RIS format.
- Extracts tables and figures: Scholarcy identifies tables and visuals in Word or PDF files, enabling you to save them in Excel for convenient retrieval.
- Browser Extension and Flashcards: free
- Personal library: $9.99
- Academic institution license: $8k+
Scholarcy is designed solely for researchers. If you are a graduate student or work in academia, then Scholarcy is for you. Research is made much easier with Scholarcy.
4. TLDR This
TLDR This is an easy AI tool that shortens articles and texts. Just click, enter a link, or paste your text, and you’ll get a quick summary with sentences shorter. Leveraging cutting-edge AI technology, TLDR excels at efficiently converting extensive text into easily comprehensible content. You can choose a short one or a more detailed version based on your needs.
*Fun fact: You might wonder what TLDR means. TLDR actually stands for “too long didn’t read”!
- Summary length: You can choose between short/concise and detailed/section-wise summaries.
- Two modes: It can summarize text in key sentences or AI (human-like) paragraphs.
- Starter: $4/month
- Professional: $8.25/month
- Business: $16.6.month
TLDR This is a simple tool. It doesn’t have too many features like Quillbot, but pretty enough for those who just need basic summaries.
ChatGPT is a dynamic language model created by OpenAI. It’s designed to assist with a broad range of tasks, from answering complex questions and offering detailed explanations to helping with creative writing and tackling intricate problems. You just need to give clear prompts to ChatGPT and it will generate answers for you. And of course, you can ask it to generate a summary of a text for you. However, it doesn’t have browser extensions, which means you need to copy and paste text into ChatGPT’s dialog box.
- Adaptive Length: Since ChatGPT gives responses based on users’ prompts, it can adjust the summary’s length based on their requirements, 200 words, 500 words, or whatever they like.
- Interactive response: Users can further expand their queries around the summary.
- GPT-3.5: free
- GPT-4: $20/month
Try inputting some articles into GPT and see how it works. The quality of summaries generally depends on how precise your prompts are. Although you can interact with GPT multiple times, the endless copy, paste, and prompting can be very time-consuming.
ChatPDF is a helpful website that makes it easy to shorten long PDF documents. Lots of people like it because it’s simple to use and works well. You just need a web browser on your computer or phone to access ChatPDF.com and summarize PDFs. But if you use it for free, there’s a limit to how much you can do (2 PDFs/day).
- Summarize PDF: drop any of your local PDF files and chat with your PDF using text prompts
- All languages supported: ChatPDF accepts PDFs in any language and can chat in any language.
- Basic: free with 2 PDFs/day
- Plus: $19.99/month
ChatPDF is useful for people with large PDF file reading needs, for example, students who have a bunch of readings required by assignments. Since it doesn’t have browser extensions, it’s not very convenient to use when you read on web pages. Plus, it doesn’t directly generate summaries for you. Instead, you need to type in your queries.
Upword is an AI tool that shortens and explains texts. It extracts main points from text, makes short notes, and can change text into other languages. You can make texts shorter, add comments and pictures, and generate any type of document based on your summaries, such as executive reports, essays, blogs, and more.
- Build Summaries with AI: Upword’s AI quickly pulls out the main points, saving you time. You can add comments, links, and pictures, and translate or simplify text easily.
- Manage Your Work: Store and sort your summaries in the library for long-term use, and use tags for quick finds.
- 1 Month Plan: $15/month
- 12 Months Plan: $12.50 per/month
Similar to Scholarcy, Upword is designed for students, researchers, and professionals who deal with a bunch of readings and writings on a daily basis. If you have the need to absorb large amounts of readings and knowledge daily and output professional or academic writing regularly, then try Upword and see if it suits your needs. However, it only offers a 7-day trial.
After our in-depth analysis of the 7 best AI summarizing tools of 2023 on the market: Briefy, Quillbot, Scholarcy, TLDR This, ChatGPT, ChatPDF, and Upword, we hope you’ve learned the key features, pros and cons of each. Now, how to summarize an article must not be a problem for you anymore!
When choosing AI tools, keep in mind what you truly need. For instance, if it’s something that helps you read smarter daily and saves you time for other tasks, then tools like Briefy are the easiest to use and do the best at their work. Wanna give it a try? Download Briefy today! 👇